Share this Recipe
Dot’s Pretzel Brittle
You Will Need:
- 1 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t water
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3 T butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups of peanuts
- 3 cups of Dot’s Pretzels, broken into pieces
1. Heat oven to 200ºF.
2. Butter 2 cookie sheets and keep warm in oven.
3. Mix baking soda, 1 t water and vanilla; reserve.
4. Mix sugar, 1 cup water and corn syrup in 3-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to 240ºF on candy thermometer or until small amount of syrup dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from water.
5. Stir in butter, pretzels and peanuts. Stirring constantly to 300ºF or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into hard, brittle threads. (Watch carefully so mixture does not burn.)
6. Immediately remove from heat.
7. Quickly stir in baking soda mixture until light and foamy.
8. Pour half the candy mixture onto each cookie sheet; quickly spread about 1/4 inch thick.
9. Rearrange pretzels and peanuts with two forks if needed.
10. Cool completely, at least 1 hour.
11. Break into pieces and store in covered container.
The trick to making thin, tender peanut brittle is keeping the cookie sheets warm. You’ll be able to spread the candy to 1/4-inch thickness without it setting up.